Mini Implants - Your Affordable Solution to An Enhanced Smile
If you are suffering from one or more missing teeth, you might think that your only options are either dentures or dental implants. Thanks to the latest advancements in technology, Precision Aesthetic Dentistry is now offering newer methods of fixing missing teeth in a comfortable, affordable, and sustainable manner. Mini dental implants are half the size of traditional implants, which makes them less expensive and a more comfortable fit.
If you reside in Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, MI, Troy, or any of the surrounding communities, we would love to help. During a consultation, Dr. Bonadeo and our talented team can help you determine if mini implants are the right fit for you and build a comprehensive plan around all your dental needs. We use a conservative approach to help you maintain your natural tooth structure as much as possible. Contact us today and schedule your appointment.
CALL US: (248) 647-2109 REQUEST APPOINTMENT
What Are the Types of Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a very effective method for replacing a missing tooth. It is a metal post surgically positioned into the jawbone underneath the gums to make up for the lack of a tooth root. There are two common types of dental implants: traditional and mini dental implants. Both are durable, safe, effective, and have a high success rate. However, depending on your specific situation, one option could be better than the other.
Whether it is a mini implant or a traditional one, our dentist can mount replacement teeth onto them to give you a perfect smile. Both types of dental implants offer sustainable, stable support for artificial teeth. Bridges or dentures mounted to implants won't shift or slip in your mouth, a critical benefit when eating or speaking. This secure fit helps dental crowns, dentures, and bridges feel more natural than conventional restorations.
Mini Implants VS Traditional Implants
The main difference between traditional and mini dental implants is the size. Mini dental implants, as the name suggests, are smaller in size. While traditional implants are approximately 4-5mm in diameter, the size and shape of a screw, mini implants are only 2.5mm in diameter, nearly the width of a toothpick.
Another significant difference is that mini dental implants do not require complex surgery to insert in the jaw. No incisions and sutures are made. That is why they need less healing time. Additionally, mini dental implants are cheaper than traditional dental implants since the procedure is less invasive and can be carried out in one visit.
Am I A Good Candidate for A Mini Implant?
Mini dental implants are usually indicated for patients with bone atrophy. If the process of bone loss has already begun, traditional implants are not recommended since they can exert too much stress on the jawbone.
If you don’t have sufficient bone structure to hold a couple of large implants, Dr. Bonadeo can distribute the load equally among four to six mini-implants. The opening for a mini implant is rather small and helps thread the mini implant into the bone. This method makes it suitable for most people, and even the elderly can benefit from this fast and simple procedure.
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants can help restore your smile. Here are some benefits of mini dental implants:
- Non-Invasive Surgery: One of the key benefits of mini dental implants is that the treatment process is less invasive. It’s an excellent option for patients who cannot tolerate or are not willing to undergo complicated surgery.
- No Need for Bone Grafts: mini-implants can deliver the perfect solution without the need for bone grafting surgery.
- Preserves Facial Appearance: Similar to traditional implants, mini implants help prevent the facial collapse that can often occur with continued bone loss.
- Less Discomfort Compared to Traditional Implants: Since there is less disturbance of the bone and soft tissue, most patients only need over-the-counter pain relief for a day or two after the procedure.
- Fast & Convenient: Mini implants usually require a single appointment, so you can resume your normal activities the same day without dietary restrictions.
- Faster Healing Time: The artificial tooth is typically placed within hours; the procedure needs a day or two to heal versus months when undergoing traditional implants.
- Improves the Fit of Dentures: Implant-supported dentures do not slip. Mini implants are often used to realign dentures and improve their fit.
- More Affordable: The fact that mini implants are done in one visit, require a simple surgery, and do not require bone grafts makes them less expensive than traditional implant treatment. They are almost half the cost of traditional implants.
The Mini Implant Procedure
To determine if mini implants are suitable for you, our dental team will take a panoramic x-ray. Once qualification is confirmed, the next steps are arranged. A mini implant procedure usually involves the placement of four mini implants in the lower arch, taking only around an hour. Steps for the placement are as follows:
- Anesthetics are used
- At the placement sites, tiny little holes are drilled in the bone
- Each mini implant is screwed into place and tightened with a winged wrench
- Prosthetic is measured against the mini implants
- Measurements are then sent to the lab to create the overdenture
- You will come back in and have your denture placed
Schedule A Visit and See If Mini Implants Are A Good Fit for You
If you have experienced tooth loss in combination with other oral health issues, mini dental implants may be the right fit for you. If you live in Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Troy, AL, or any of our surrounding neighborhoods, Precision Aesthetic Dentistry can help you achieve your best smile. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and get ready for long-lasting changes!
CALL US: (248) 647-2109 REQUEST APPOINTMENT